Reactivate WM role attributes
Grégory SCHMITT
2012-12-31 16:05:08 UTC
Hi Tom,

Would it be possible to uncomment the following two lines?

- src/e2_window.c, l.1342: gtk_window_set_role (GTK_WINDOW (app.main_window), "main");
- src/dialogs/e2_window.c, l.305: gtk_window_set_role (thiswindow, "dialog");

I'm using Openbox as window manager and like to have main windows
maximized upon startup, while keeping dialog boxes at their original size.

Without those lines of code above, Openbox doesn't make any difference
between the main window and a dialog window, therefore maximizing any
dialog window. I know that seems lazy since I just need to maximize the
main window manually, but saving any mouse gesture keeps me away from
the carpal tunnel syndrome :-)
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:***@gmail.com>
Liviu Andronic
2013-01-01 19:16:34 UTC
Post by Grégory SCHMITT
Hi Tom,
Would it be possible to uncomment the following two lines?
- src/e2_window.c, l.1342: gtk_window_set_role (GTK_WINDOW (app.main_window), "main");
- src/dialogs/e2_window.c, l.305: gtk_window_set_role (thiswindow, "dialog");
I'm using Openbox as window manager and like to have main windows
maximized upon startup, while keeping dialog boxes at their original size.
I would second that. It's strange that emel always opens un-maximised
(using Xfce here).

Liviu
Post by Grégory SCHMITT
Without those lines of code above, Openbox doesn't make any difference
between the main window and a dialog window, therefore maximizing any
dialog window. I know that seems lazy since I just need to maximize the
main window manually, but saving any mouse gesture keeps me away from
the carpal tunnel syndrome :-)
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?
t***@onepost.net
2013-01-02 01:18:21 UTC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 17:05:08 +0100
Post by Grégory SCHMITT
Would it be possible to uncomment the following two lines?
- src/e2_window.c, l.1342: gtk_window_set_role (GTK_WINDOW (app.main_window), "main");
- src/dialogs/e2_window.c, l.305: gtk_window_set_role (thiswindow, "dialog");
I'm using Openbox as window manager and like to have main windows
maximized upon startup, while keeping dialog boxes at their original size.
Without those lines of code above, Openbox doesn't make any difference
between the main window and a dialog window, therefore maximizing any
dialog window. I know that seems lazy since I just need to maximize the
main window manually, but saving any mouse gesture keeps me away from
the carpal tunnel syndrome :-)
Done.

Any preference for
// gtk_window_set_role (GTK_WINDOW (window), "tabdrop");
in e2_output.c ?

Regards
Tom
Grégory SCHMITT
2013-01-02 14:04:02 UTC
Post by Grégory SCHMITT
Would it be possible to uncomment the following two lines?
- src/e2_window.c, l.1342: gtk_window_set_role (GTK_WINDOW
(app.main_window), "main");
- src/dialogs/e2_window.c, l.305: gtk_window_set_role (thiswindow, "dialog");
I'm using Openbox as window manager and like to have main windows
maximized upon startup, while keeping dialog boxes at their
original size.
Without those lines of code above, Openbox doesn't make any
difference between the main window and a dialog window, therefore
maximizing any dialog window. I know that seems lazy since I just
need to maximize the main window manually, but saving any mouse
gesture keeps me away from the carpal tunnel syndrome :-)
Done.
Any preference for
// gtk_window_set_role (GTK_WINDOW (window), "tabdrop");
in e2_output.c ?
Indeed, I forgot about this one. I don't have much of an opinion on
this one, my concern was about the main window and the dialog boxes,
but I guess it can't hurt to have more control over window management.

Perhaps other users have an opinion on what to do.
--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:***@gmail.com>