maximise filename column when 'hide other pane'
Liviu Andronic
2011-07-28 10:47:51 UTC
Hello Tom
Would you consider the following request? The pane*.expand action is
not so useful in its current configuration. When clicking the 'Hide
other pane' button emel indeed passes into one-pane mode. As a side
effect it maximises the width of the last file list column (in my case
'Modified'), which always results in wasting half of the screen.

However, in most cases the widest column by far would be 'Filename',
and at least for me the only reason to switch to one-pane mode is to
have the long, truncated file names completely visible on the screen.
And this is currently possible only by manually fiddling with the
'Filename' width after switching to one-pane mode and a second time
when switching back to two-pane mode.

Would it be possible to make emel automatically maximise the
'Filename' column upon pane*.expand, and then reverting to the old
width when switching back to two-pane? Regards
Liviu
--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
t***@onepost.net
2011-07-30 07:10:12 UTC
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:47:51 +0200
Post by Liviu Andronic
[...]
We've looked into this, before.

Yes it would be nice to allocate spare treeview space to the filename column instead of to the last-shown column. However we then also need to manage other property(ies) e.g. min-width, so that the column isn't the first to be resized out of existence when the window size is reduced, for example. Sadly there's no API for detecting only manual (dragged) column-width changes, or other reasonable work-around that I can find, to allow the minimum to be dynamically revised in accord with user's changes.

So, I can't find a reasonable way to do it. Anyone else figured it out?

Regards
Tom
Liviu Andronic
2011-07-30 08:46:44 UTC
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Liviu Andronic
Would it be possible to make emel automatically maximise the
'Filename' column upon pane*.expand, and then reverting to the old
width when switching back to two-pane? Regards
We've looked into this, before.
You're right! I completely forgot of the identical 2010 request. Sorry
for that.
Post by t***@onepost.net
Yes it would be nice to allocate spare treeview space to the filename column instead of to the last-shown column. However we then also need to manage other property(ies) e.g. min-width, so that the column isn't the first to be resized out of existence when the window size is reduced, for example. Sadly there's no API for detecting only manual (dragged) column-width changes, or other reasonable work-around that I can find, to allow the minimum to be dynamically revised in accord with user's changes.
So, I can't find a reasonable way to do it. Anyone else figured it out?
1. make any column automatically resize itself to fit its longest content. This is described (by gtk itself) as inefficient for large views, and prone to make columns appear 'choppy' (whatever that is?).
Have you got to the point of experimenting with that? I am wondering
if it isn't as bad as it sounds (the 'choppy' thingy). I am not sure
how Thunar handles this exactly, but it always automatically resizes
the column width to accommodate the longest string, and I have never
noticed anything peculiarly out of order even on dirs such as
/usr/bin/.

It may be worth a try. What do you think?
Liviu
Adam Krolnik
2011-07-30 17:45:49 UTC
How about making an action "maximize filename column", then enable the
actions attached
to the "hide other pane" button so that someone can now edit the actions to
be

'hide_other_pane; maximize_filename_col;'
Post by Liviu Andronic
[...]
by logging into the web interface.
--
Adam Krolnik