emelfm2 bug?
Serge
2013-06-12 19:27:48 UTC
Hello.
First, sorry about bad english, i am not native speaker.
Thanks for the emelfm, i like to use it.
But there is some bug maybe - no dir history on the toolbars.
Current directory is shown properly, i can enter path and switch to that
by enter,
but no history and arrow on the right is grayed.
I am using Debian Wheezy.

"***@debian:~$ emelfm2 -v
emelFM2 v. 0.8.2
Licensed under the GPL
Copyright (C) 2003-2013, tooar <***@emelfm2.net>
Build date: Sun Mar 31 10:41:03 MSK 2013
Build platform: GTK+ 2.20.1 Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64/x86_64
***@debian:~$ emelfm2 -b
emelFM2 build parameters:
BIN_DIR=/usr/local/bin
CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall
CONFIGDOC=CONFIGURATION
DEBUG=0
DOC_DIR=/usr/local/share/doc/emelfm2
DOCS_VERSION=0
EDITOR_SPELLCHECK=0
EXTRA_BINDINGS=0
FILES_UTF8ONLY=0
HELPDOC=USAGE
I18N=1
ICON_DIR=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/emelfm2
LIB_DIR=/usr/local/lib
LOCALE_DIR=/usr/local/share/locale
MAN_DIR=/usr/local/share/man/man1
NEW_COMMAND=0
PANES_HORIZONTAL=0
PLUGINS_DIR=/usr/local/lib/emelfm2/plugins
PREFIX=/usr/local
STRIP=1
USE_GAMIN=0
USE_INOTIFY=0
USE_KQUEUE=0
USE_PORTEVENT=0
WITH_ACL=0
WITH_ASSIST=0
WITH_CUSTOMMOUSE=0
WITH_DEVKIT=0
WITH_GTK2=0
WITH_GTK3=0
WITH_HAL=0
WITH_KERNELFAM=0
WITH_LATEST=1
WITH_OUTPUTSTYLES=0
WITH_POLKIT=0
WITH_THUMBLIB=0
WITH_THUMBS=0
WITH_TRACKER=0
WITH_TRANSPARENCY=0
WITH_UDISKS=0
XDG_APPLICATION_DIR=/usr/local/share/application-registry
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR=/usr/local/share/applications
XDG_INTEGRATION=1"

Tryed to built with GTK3 and install *.deb from Ubuntu - no history anyway.
Maybe wrong permissions somewhere?
Thank you.
Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.02
t***@onepost.net
2013-06-13 06:25:09 UTC
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:27:48 +0400
Post by Serge
Hello.
First, sorry about bad english, i am not native speaker.
Thanks for the emelfm, i like to use it.
But there is some bug maybe - no dir history on the toolbars.
Current directory is shown properly, i can enter path and switch to that
by enter,
but no history and arrow on the right is grayed.
I am using Debian Wheezy.
Serge,

For a while now, the directories comboboxes in the toolbars have been programmed to work a bit like tabs seen in some other file managers, or pane-specific bookmarks. Directories are added to those boxes' histories only when you, the user, manually initiates it.

The way to do so is to 'activate' the combobox, that is, double-click it, or when it's focused, press <Enter>. Removal of a directory from the history is the same as for all e2 combos, that is, press <Alt><Delete> when the relevant directory is shown in the entry. <Shift><Alt><Delete> will clear the whole history.

This is hardly ideal or intuitive as a user-interface, but it's the best compromise with the 'legacy' history mode that we've found, so far.

As well, the histories of opened directories are also available as menus, displayed when you hover a pointer over the forward or backward buttons in both filelist panes.

Regards
Tom
Serge
2013-06-13 11:38:38 UTC
Thanks for the answer.
Okay, this is feature)
But this is not history then, this is some kind of bookmarks i think.
Now i can add entry and delete ONE entry by "dirline.clear.history".
But i can't clear all history -
alt+shift+delete making nothing, no command for that combination in
settings.
More than that, alt+shift is well known hotkey for switching keyboard
layout.
alt+delete is binded to "command.clear_history".
This command doesn't clear dir history and even command history,
when command line is focused, just clear entire line.
History by hover over back button is very annoying)
Because first entry is completely covered by button tooltip.

I have Nokia n810 with emelfm2 0.5.0 installed.
Dir history is real history there ) and "command.clear_history" is
working properly for both dirline and commandline.

And one more question - is it possible to make one toolbar for active pane?
Two toolbars is a waste of space on low resolution screens.
t***@onepost.net
2013-06-14 00:20:30 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:38:38 +0400
Post by Serge
Thanks for the answer.
Okay, this is feature)
But this is not history then, this is some kind of bookmarks i think.
Now i can add entry and delete ONE entry by "dirline.clear.history".
But i can't clear all history -
alt+shift+delete making nothing, no command for that combination in
settings.
Yes. For a long time, the key-combinations mentioned in my previous message have been hard-coded, for all comboboxes in the application.
Post by Serge
More than that, alt+shift is well known hotkey for switching keyboard
layout.
alt+delete is binded to "command.clear_history".
This command doesn't clear dir history and even command history,
when command line is focused, just clear entire line.
Well, those would be bugs. I'll look into it.
Post by Serge
History by hover over back button is very annoying)
Because first entry is completely covered by button tooltip.
Here at least, the tooltip goes away when the pointer moves from over the button to over the actual menu.

When you're sufficiently confident/familiar with the operation of the toolbar buttons, you can disable tooltips for the bar.
Post by Serge
I have Nokia n810 with emelfm2 0.5.0 installed.
Dir history is real history there ) and "command.clear_history" is
working properly for both dirline and commandline.
I think it was about 0.6.0 that the migration to "tab-like" operation for dirlines commenced. That was about 4 years ago, and I don't recall all the historical details.
Post by Serge
And one more question - is it possible to make one toolbar for active pane?
Two toolbars is a waste of space on low resolution screens.
On the Nokia N900 emelfm2 is unusable because of two toolbars.
The configuration options for pane1 and pane2 both include a choice to "show the pane... toolbar". It's not smart enough to always show the active-pane toolbar.

Long ago, there was some specific tailoring of the application for use on small screens. That required a build-time setting to be applied. We can revisit that, if there's much real interest in doing so.

Regards
Tom
Serge
2013-06-15 22:41:47 UTC
Hello again.
I mean only one toolbar for both panes, like command bar.
Two toolbars with same buttons looking strange. It is irrational IMO.
Buttons and other elements on one toolbar can communicate with active pane,
like button with user command.
And i have more problems!
:-)
If video files in emelfm is associated with smplayer,
smplayer hangs when i try to close it or access program settings.
Smplayer hangs even with "xfce4-terminal -e 'smplayer %p &'" or
xdg-open commands. But all works correctly when started from
terminal, thunar, doublecmd or mc.
emelfm completely ignoring "&" sign in commands.

And second problem -
"aplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav & zenity --question
--title="Remove..."
--window-icon="/usr/share/icons/Tango/16x16/actions/edit-delete.png"
--text="Do you wish to permanently\nremove the selected file(s)?" ; if [
$? = 0 ] ; then sudo rm -r %p ; fi"
doesn't work in emelfm.
Maybe i need to modify command somehow, but command is working properly
in thunar or terminal.
Output:
"sh>aplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav & zenity ... d file(s)?" (12681)
returned '0'
if [ $? = 0 ]
Failed to execute child process "if" (No such file or directory).
then sudo rm -r "/opt/Screenshot - 06152013 - 03:36:36 AM.png"
Failed to execute child process "then" (No such file or directory).
fi
Failed to execute child process "fi" (No such file or directory)."

Thanks for reading)
t***@onepost.net
2013-06-16 04:51:22 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 02:41:47 +0400
Post by Serge
Hello again.
I mean only one toolbar for both panes, like command bar.
Two toolbars with same buttons looking strange. It is irrational IMO.
Buttons and other elements on one toolbar can communicate with active pane,
like button with user command.
Well, each to his/her own, I guess. Other users (me included) find it useful to be able to change some aspect(s) of the inactive pane without making it active.
Post by Serge
And i have more problems!
:-)
If video files in emelfm is associated with smplayer,
smplayer hangs when i try to close it or access program settings.
Smplayer hangs even with "xfce4-terminal -e 'smplayer %p &'" or
xdg-open commands. But all works correctly when started from
terminal, thunar, doublecmd or mc.
emelfm completely ignoring "&" sign in commands.
From the USAGE document:
"adding '&' to the end of a command will run it in the background, and all [console] output other than standard error is suppressed."

That said, I don't yet know what your problem might be. Each executed application runs in its own separate process, so I'm at a loss to know how yours is being affected. When I run the equivalent
terminal -e 'smplayer %p &' (or just smplayer %p)
it works just as would be expected.

Can you shed any further light? Logs or console text or ???
Post by Serge
[...]
The terminal emulator within the application is not a full-blown shell, and so any "complicated" commands are routed externally to the user's normal interpreter, for processing. Each (';'-separated) sub-command is processed independently.

In your example, we can see this from the "sh>" at the start of the reported output, and the failure to know what to do with the "if" command.

Again, from USAGE:
adding '>>' to the beginning of a "joined" external command will cause it to run as a single command in a separate shell... This is necessary if you do not want the individual components of the joined command to be individually sent to the shell.

Regards
Tom
Serge
2013-06-16 06:42:06 UTC
Post by Serge
Hello again.
I mean only one toolbar for both panes, like command bar.
Two toolbars with same buttons looking strange. It is irrational IMO.
Buttons and other elements on one toolbar can communicate with active pane,
like button with user command.
Well, each to his/her own, I guess. Other users (me included) find it
useful to be able to change some aspect(s) of the inactive pane without
making it active.
Okay, i can live with two toolbars)
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
And i have more problems!
:-)
If video files in emelfm is associated with smplayer,
smplayer hangs when i try to close it or access program settings.
Smplayer hangs even with "xfce4-terminal -e 'smplayer %p &'" or
xdg-open commands. But all works correctly when started from
terminal, thunar, doublecmd or mc.
emelfm completely ignoring "&" sign in commands.
"adding '&' to the end of a command will run it in the background, and
all [console] output other than standard error is suppressed."
That said, I don't yet know what your problem might be. Each executed
application runs in its own separate process, so I'm at a loss to know
how yours is being affected. When I run the equivalent
terminal -e 'smplayer %p &' (or just smplayer %p)
it works just as would be expected.
Can you shed any further light? Logs or console text or ???
No errors in terminal and smplayer log.
After clicking X, mplayer stop playing video and
smplayer gui hangs completely. After some seconds gtk dialog popups:
"This window might be busy and is not responding.
Do you want to terminate the application?"
Can you push me to the right direction?
Maybe some system logs?

And & sign is ignored. Image files associated with command "xnview %p &",
output:
">xnview "/home/serge/Downloads/ridge_racer_modoki02.jpg" (352)
QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method MyTabBar::layoutTabs()
Object::connect: No such slot AbstractViewWindow::onCut()
Object::connect: No such slot AbstractViewWindow::onPaste()
Object::connect: No such slot AbstractViewWindow::onClear()
Object::connect: No such slot AbstractViewWindow::onBackColor()
---------
bla-bla alot of output
---------
######ThumbLoaderThread :: forever : a1823f0
TIME 0
### ThumbLoaderThread :: updateFileList
ThumbLoaderThread :: stop()
### ThumbLoaderThread :: stop() ok
### ThumbLoaderThread :: updateFileList ok
## BaseViewWindow :: ~BaseViewWindow()
ThumbLoaderThread :: stop()
### ThumbLoaderThread :: stop() ok
ThumbLoaderThread :: stop()
### ThumbLoaderThread :: stop() ok
######ThumbLoaderThread :: run : a1823f0 OK
## BaseViewWindow :: ~BaseViewWindow() ok
AbstractViewWindow :: ~AbstractViewWindow()
====> 0.000000 0.000000 (1280 869)
Post by t***@onepost.net
xnview "/home/serge/Downloads/ridge_racer_modoki02.jpg" (352) returned
'0'
"
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
[...]
Maybe i am stupid, but adding >> to the beginning of command change
nothing.
The same output:
"sh>aplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav & zenity ... d file(s)?" (31971)
returned '0'
Post by t***@onepost.net
if [ $? = 0 ]
Failed to execute child process "if" (No such file or directory).
then sudo rm -r "/home/serge/Downloads/test-22.ogv"
Post by t***@onepost.net
fi
Failed to execute child process "fi" (No such file or directory)."
Post by t***@onepost.net
Regards
Tom
by logging into the web interface.
Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.02
Serge
2013-06-17 01:10:31 UTC
Hello.
More news -
installed emelfm2_0.8.2-1~oneiric~ppa1_i386 and =

emelfm2-svn_0.8.3~svn20130111~oneiric1_i386 for Ubuntu.
smplayer bug disappeared in both.
compiled 0.8.2 again - bug present.

about "&" - in the 0.8.2, commands with & at the end is executed as =

without it, if running it from file associations. If running from toolba=
r =

or command bar, output from emelfm is hided, from external program is =

showed. In 0.8.3, always hided output from emelfm.

smplayer %p
">smplayer "/home/serge/Videos/=D0=92=D0=BE=D0=B7=D0=B2=D1=80=D0=B0=D1=89=
=D0=B5=D0=BD=D0=B8=D0=B5 =D0=B3=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=BE=D1=8F.avi" (12643)
This is SMPlayer v. 0.8.3 running on Linux
smplayer "/home/serge/Videos/=D0=92=D0=BE=D0=B7=D0=B2=D1=80=D0=B0=D1=89=
=D0=B5=D0=BD=D0=B8=D0=B5 =D0=B3=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=BE=D1=8F.avi" (12643) re=
turned =
'0'"
smplayer %p &
"This is SMPlayer v. 0.8.3 running on Linux"

(added 15 minuts ago)
Compiled 0.8.2 with
NEW_COMMAND=3D1
USE_INOTIFY=3D1
WITH_ACL=3D1
WITH_GTK2=3D1
WITH_KERNELFAM=3D1
WITH_LATEST=3D1
WITH_OUTPUTSTYLES=3D1
WITH_POLKIT=3D1
WITH_TRACKER=3D1

smplayer is working properly now, no hangs.

Two questions)
With current xfce theme both pane cursors (selection) with the same colo=
r.
What exactly i need to change in gtkrc? For different colors?
I can switch theme to xfce-orange for example but most themes doesn't =

support
gtk3 applications.
.
=
Post by t***@onepost.net
making it active.
Okay, i can live with two toolbars)
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
And i have more problems!
:-)
Post by t***@onepost.net
how yours is being affected. When I run the equivalent
terminal -e 'smplayer %p &' (or just smplayer %p)
it works just as would be expected.
Can you shed any further light? Logs or console text or ???
No errors in terminal and smplayer log.
After clicking X, mplayer stop playing video and
"This window might be busy and is not responding.
Do you want to terminate the application?"
Can you push me to the right direction?
Maybe some system logs?
And & sign is ignored. Image files associated with command "xnview %p =
&",
[...]
=3D=3D=3D=3D> 0.000000 0.000000 (1280 869)
Post by t***@onepost.net
xnview "/home/serge/Downloads/ridge_racer_modoki02.jpg" (352) return=
ed =
Post by t***@onepost.net
'0'
"
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
And second problem -
"aplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav & zenity --question
--title=3D"Remove..."
--window-icon=3D"/usr/share/icons/Tango/16x16/actions/edit-delete.pn=
g"
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
--text=3D"Do you wish to permanently\nremove the selected file(s)?" =
; if =
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
[
$? =3D 0 ] ; then sudo rm -r %p ; fi"
doesn't work in emelfm.
Maybe i need to modify command somehow, but command is working prope=
rly
Post by t***@onepost.net
Post by Serge
in thunar or terminal.
"sh>aplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav & zenity ... d file(s)?" =
(12681)
returned '0'
if [ $? =3D 0 ]
Post by t***@onepost.net
be individually sent to the shell.
Maybe i am stupid, but adding >> to the beginning of command change =
nothing.
"sh>aplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav & zenity ... d file(s)?" =
(31971) returned '0'
if [ $? =3D 0 ]
Post by t***@onepost.net
fi
Failed to execute child process "fi" (No such file or directory)."
Post by t***@onepost.net
Regards
Tom
=
Post by t***@onepost.net
or by logging into the web interface.
-- =

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.02
t***@onepost.net
2013-06-17 23:30:55 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 05:10:31 +0400
Post by Serge
Hello.
More news -
installed emelfm2_0.8.2-1~oneiric~ppa1_i386 and
emelfm2-svn_0.8.3~svn20130111~oneiric1_i386 for Ubuntu.
smplayer bug disappeared in both.
compiled 0.8.2 again - bug present.
I suspect there is a difference related to whether the application is built with
NEW_COMMAND=1

I've just run some tests without this option (meaning that command execution is passed over to glib, rather than being managed internally) and there I see behaviour similar to your reported hangs. I haven't had time to explore inside glib to try to find out why.
Post by Serge
about "&" - in the 0.8.2, commands with & at the end is executed as
without it, if running it from file associations. If running from toolbar
or command bar, output from emelfm is hided, from external program is
showed. In 0.8.3, always hided output from emelfm.
Odd, IIRC the svn changes relate to plugin loading, not alias/command operation.
Post by Serge
smplayer %p
">smplayer "/home/serge/Videos/Возвращение героя.avi" (12643)
This is SMPlayer v. 0.8.3 running on Linux
smplayer "/home/serge/Videos/Возвращение героя.avi" (12643) returned
'0'"
smplayer %p &
"This is SMPlayer v. 0.8.3 running on Linux"
(added 15 minuts ago)
Compiled 0.8.2 with
NEW_COMMAND=1
USE_INOTIFY=1
WITH_ACL=1
WITH_GTK2=1
WITH_KERNELFAM=1
WITH_LATEST=1
WITH_OUTPUTSTYLES=1
WITH_POLKIT=1
WITH_TRACKER=1
smplayer is working properly now, no hangs.
Two questions)
With current xfce theme both pane cursors (selection) with the same color.
What exactly i need to change in gtkrc? For different colors?
I can switch theme to xfce-orange for example but most themes doesn't
support
gtk3 applications.
I've never looked into gtk theming. I doubt that it's readily achievable to change only the selection colours as displayed in emelFM2 - the GtkTreeview widget default is used. There's no distinction between the two filelists, on which to base some sort of theme customisation.

Personally, I rarely use a gtk3 version of emelFM2, due to bad appearance. Presumably, themes will catch up, one year or another.

Regards
Tom

Petar Kostov
2013-06-16 19:21:02 UTC
Post by t***@onepost.net
That said, I don't yet know what your problem might be. Each executed
application runs in its own separate process, so I'm at a loss to
know how yours is being affected.
Hello Tom,
it is a minor thing for me and it may be not connected at all to the
discussed issue, but:

when I start a terminal from emelfm2 using the "Open terminal at the
active directory" button typing "exit" or "CTRL-D" doesn't close the
terminal window. The terminal doesn't respond to any further commands,
you can type anything you want..., but the window doesn't close. The
only way to close it is with the mouse.

Best wishes,
Petar Kostov